Welcome to The Index Investor
Global Macro Analysis and Asset Allocation Insights
Sign up below for our alerts and instantly download your free copy of our December 2019 analysis:
"What Do We Know About Escaping From the Persistent Deflation Regime?"
Since 1997, our purpose has been to help investors, corporate, and government leaders better anticipate, more accurately assess, and adapt in time to emerging macro threats.
We focus on providing insights about the evolving dynamics of the global macro system and the emergent threats they produce that lie beyond the detection horizon and analytical capabilities of quantitative algorithmic methods. We then translate these into probability forecasts for different macro regimes, and use them to adjust our model portfolio's asset allocation.
Successful investing is ultimately based on accurate forecasting. Here's a brief description of our methodology:
Compared to new quantitative data, new qualitative data diffuses more slowly across market participants, and is only gradually incorporated into asset prices.
This time delay, plus the accuracy of their mental models, enables astute investors to avoid large losses by taking action before the market's dominant narrative changes.
To achieve this goal, we use a method called Multipath Analysis, in which we collect and synthesize high value information (threat indicators and surprises) in the areas of technology, health and disease, energy and the environment, the economy, national security, society, and politics.
Their complex interaction over time cause the effects we later observe in the form of market narratives and investor beliefs, from which emerge financial market valuations, volumes, returns — and, for some, unexpected surprises.
Two subscribers recently had this to say: "I am delighted to get your analysis. We get everything from Wall Street, and they all seem to be saying the same thing. Your take is greatly appreciated." Another said "your research is unique. There's nothing else like this out there."
(1) Narrative forecasts and quantitative 12 and 36 month probability estimates for four possible macro regimes: Normal Times, High Uncertainty, High Inflation, and Persistent Deflation.
(2) Estimated asset class over/under valuations and updated market stress indicators (e.g., levels of uncertainty, herding, liquidity, and credit risk.
(3) Tactical Asset Allocation implications of our analyses.
(4) A cumulative, chronological "Evidence File", that contains two kinds of high value information that we have used to update our monthly forecasts. The first are "indicators" that cause us to either increase or decrease our uncertainty about the values of different parameters in our mental model of the complex macro system. The second are "surprises" that increase our uncertainty about the structure of that model.
Evidence is categorized by month and divided into separate sections covering the areas that drive global macro dynamics, including technology, energy and the environment, the economy, national security, society, politics, financial markets and investor behavior, as well as two potential "wildcards": health and infectious disease, and cyber and electromagnetic events.
From an AI perspective, each month we provide a tagged data set that can be combined with similar inputs from other sources, and subsequently analyzed using Natural Language Processing methods.
(5) In between monthly publications, we publish flash updates — on our blog, on our LinkedIn page, via email, and via our Twitter @indexllc — if and when we obtain high value information that results in a substantial change to a forecast probability.
For example, based on our previous research and writing on pandemic threats, we started warning about the danger posed by COVID-19 on January 27th — well ahead of the S&P 500's peak on February 19th.
(6) A feature article providing an in-depth analysis of either a key macro-uncertainty (e.g., how close the system is to one or more critical thresholds) or an aspect of making good investment decisions in the face of complexity and uncertainty. These articles typically synthesize a broad range of academic research and practitioner experience to provide thought provoking insights about critical issues facing investors and their advisors. Here's a list of the feature articles we're recently published.
You can download a free sample copy of a recent issue to get a better appreciate the value we provide subscribers each month.
Our back issues and Research Library are both free. Investors can browse our curated content on a critical uncertainties that could have a substantial impact on medium and long-term asset class valuations, including technological, environmental, economic, national security, social, demographic, political, and financial market trends and uncertainties, as well as potential "grey swan" wildcards like infectious disease, cyber, and large-scale electromagnetic events.
We also provide custom research as well as speaker services on how to increase forecast accuracy, understanding the differences between active, passive, and index investing, and how to overcome the individual, group, and organizational obstacles to making good decisions in the face of uncertainty. Our speaker offerings include seminars for advisors' clients and speeches for larger groups. Click here to learn more.
Index Investor LLC also publishes The Retired Investor, which focuses on issues related to the decumulation stage of financial life. It offers most of The Index Investor's content, but not the Evidence Files.
We are affiliated with Britten Coyne Partners, which provides strategic risk consulting services to management teams and boards, and the Strategic Risk Institute LLC, which provides online and in-person education offerings leading to a Certificate in Strategic Risk Governance and Management.